As stated in the minutes of the 1999 SPEP business meeting, the year in which the committee was proposed, the aim of the Committee on Racial and Ethnic Diversity is to facilitate within SPEP the representation of philosophers who are African-American, Latino/a, Asian-American, and Native American. The Committee will assess and report on the status of these constituencies in Continental Philosophy, identify discriminatory practices, and make recommendations to the Executive Committee concerning ways in which full and meaningful equality of opportunity can be provided to all.
In addition, every year the Committee organizes a panel pertaining philosophical issues in light of Multi-cultural or non-Western philosophies/perspectives.
Please send comments/suggestions/questions/nominations to the committee chair.
- Kris Sealey, Fairfield University (2012-2015), Chair
- Dilek Huseyinzadegan, Emory University (2013-2016)
- Camisha Russell, UC-Irvine (2014-2017)
- Devonya Havis, Canisius College (2011-2014)
- Hernando Estévez, John Jay College CUNY (2010-2013)
- Linda Martín Alcoff (2000-2001)
- Eduardo Mendieta (2000-2002)
- Lucius Outlaw (2000-2001)
- Constance Mui (2002-2004)
- Mariana Ortega (2002-2004)
- Yoko Arisaka (2003-2005)
- Alejandro Vallega (2004-2006)
- Donna-Dale Marcano (2004-2007)
- Olufemi Taiwo (2005-2008 )
- Alia Al-Saji (2007-2010)
- Namita Goswami, DePaul University (2006-2009)
- Kathryn Gines, The Pennsylvania State University (2008-2011)
- Falguni Sheth, Hampshire College (2009-2012)